Monday, April 29, 2013

Mrs. Stanley

I know we still have about a month left of school, but I wanted to take a minute today to write about Mrs. Stanley.  As we all know, Ann has decided that after this year she will say goodbye to the Trinity Family.  For anyone who has had the fortune of having Ann as their child's teacher, this is a heart wrenching goodbye.

Ann's first year at Trinity, she was my daughter Anna's Kindergarten teacher. (This is before I was the principal.)


This is a picture of their first day.  Aren't they cute? :)

Notice Anna's huge smile.  She had a great first day.  However, fast forward one week and envision this:  screaming child, crying mom, me forcing Anna out of the car, dropping her off in latchkey and watching the latchkey teacher hug her so that she would let go of me and I could leave for work.  It was one of the most awful things I've had to do as a parent.  Now all of this was because Anna inherently has a lot of anxiety every time she encounters something new.  When she is out of her box, she shuts down.  I was beside myself as I didn't know what to do to help her.

Ann was Anna's guardian angel.  She was the most loving, supportive, and nurturing teacher for Anna and supported her every day until she eventually came to school like every other child.  No tears, no anxiety, happy kid, happy mom.  I will forever be grateful to Ann for what she helped Anna accomplish that year. Anna still absolutely loves "Miss Robinson!"  Look how much she loved her at graduation! 


In the years that I've been fortunate enough to work with her, I've seen Ann do amazing things with so many children.  She's touched the life of each child she's had in a way that is meaningful to each child and family.  I've seen her set her mind to helping a student reach a goal and not give up until he or she is there.  I've seen her laugh, cry, and love the kids with all her heart.  Ann's faith is strong and shows in her character.  She is a true Christian role model for her students.

I know that God will be with Ann as she leaves Trinity and moves forward with her future.  I will always treasure the impact she's made on my personal family, as well as our school family. 

Ann, we will miss you but know that you will continue to touch many, many lives.  You will always be a Trinity Tiger!