Thursday, April 18, 2013

K Kids Inc.!


Do you remember Kindergarten? I have a lot of memory "tidbits" from when I was five. I don't have a ton of "Wow, Kindergarten was great!" type memories. I'm sure at the time I thought Kindergarten was fun, but I think my experience in K left a lot of room for memorable moments. Here are some of the tidbits I remember:

1) Nap time. My least favorite time of the day. (Little did I know...) :)
2) Weekly readers-having no clue how to follow along to what my teacher was reading to me because I hadn't learned to read yet. 
3) My yellow plastic lunchbox with a dog on the front. 
4) Playing with Mark and Leslie in the kitchen area every day.
5) Taking a test on tying my teacher's shoe.
6) Having to count to 100 in front of the whole class at circle time so she could put it on the class chart. I specifically remember stopping at like 72 because I was "tired of that activity." :)

I could go on, but I'll stop there. I know how hard teachers work and I have no doubt that Mrs. Schneider did her best every day. And in her defense, Kindergarten has changed light years since I was there. But I can say for certain that we didn't do activities like the one pictured above-K Kids Inc.- to make lasting memories for me. 

Kindergarten at Trinity is making lasting memories for kids.  Recently our Kindergartners built resumes and applied for their first jobs.  Some of them applied to be assembly workers- to make the flower pens, snack mix, or bracelets to be sold.  Some applied to be bankers-to help take care of the money.  Some applied to be managers-making sure everyone was doing their job to make the business run smoothly.  It takes all kinds to make the business successful.  The business is up and running and based on the line that I had to wait in for my snack mix this morning, I know it is going to be successful! 

This post is another reflection on why Trinity is so special.  And time and time again, the only reason I can say this is because our teachers make it happen.  We have amazing and dedicated families who sacrifice to send their children to school here and our teachers take them under their wings and hold on to them for the moments they are blessed to have them in their classrooms.  Our teachers are making memories for our kids that will last a lifetime.  And that's what I want.  I want our kids to learn as much as they can while they are here, but more importantly I don't want them to have tidbits of memories, but instead experiences they can think back on and say "That was awesome!"